II. What is a biodegradable ice cream paper cup
Biodegradable ice cream paper cups have degradability. It reduces the burden on the environment. It can reduce resource waste through microbial decomposition and recycling. This paper cup is a sustainable and environmentally friendly choice. It provides a more sustainable solution for the catering industry.
A. Definition and characteristics
Biodegradable ice cream paper cups are paper containers made of biodegradable materials. It undergoes a natural degradation process in an appropriate environment. Compared to traditional plastic cups, biodegradable paper cups have the following characteristics:
1. Environmental protection. PLA degradable ice cream cups are made from plant starch. Thus, it can decompose in the natural environment. This can reduce pollution to the environment. It has a positive effect on protecting the Earth's environment.
2. Renewable. PLA is made from renewable resources, such as plant starch. Compared to petrochemical plastics, the production process of PLA has lower energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. It has better sustainability.
3. Transparency. PLA paper cups have good transparency. This can clearly display the color and appearance of the ice cream. It can enhance consumers' visual enjoyment. Besides, paper cups can be personalized and customized. This provides merchants with more marketing opportunities.
4. Heat resistance. PLA paper cups have good performance. It can withstand food at a certain temperature. This paper cup is very suitable for holding cold and hot foods such as ice cream.
5. Lightweight and sturdy. PLA paper cups are relatively lightweight and easy to carry and use. Meanwhile, PLA paper cups are formed through a special paper cup forming process. This makes its structure more sturdy and less prone to deformation and fracture.
6. International certification. PLA paper cups comply with relevant international environmental certification standards. For example, the European EN13432 biodegradation standard and the American ASTM D6400 biodegradation standard. It has high quality assurance.
B. Biodegradation process of degradable paper cups
When PLA degradable ice cream cups are discarded, the following are the detailed points of their degradation process:
The key factors that cause PLA paper cups to decompose in natural environments are humidity and temperature. At moderate humidity and temperature, the paper cup will initiate the decomposition process.
The first type is hydrolysis. The paper cup begins the hydrolysis process under the influence of humidity. Moisture and microorganisms enter the micropores and cracks in the paper cup and interact with PLA molecules, leading to decomposition reactions.
The second type is enzymatic hydrolysis. Enzymes are biochemical catalysts that can accelerate decomposition reactions. Enzymes present in the environment can catalyze the hydrolysis of PLA paper cups. It breaks down PLA polymers into smaller molecules. These small molecules will gradually dissolve in the environment and further decompose.
The third type is microbial decomposition. PLA paper cups are biodegradable because there are many microorganisms that can decompose PLA. These microorganisms will use PLA as energy and degrade it into carbon dioxide, water, and biomass through decay and decomposition processes.
The degradation rate of PLA paper cups depends on multiple factors. Such as humidity, temperature, soil conditions, and the size and thickness of paper cups.
Generally speaking, PLA paper cups require a longer time to fully degrade. The degradation process of PLA paper cups usually occurs in industrial composting facilities or suitable natural environments. Among them, conditions conducive to humidity, temperature, and microbial activity. In household landfills or unsuitable environments, its degradation rate may be slower. Thus, when handling PLA paper cups, it should be ensured that they are placed in an appropriate waste treatment system. This can provide favorable conditions for degradation.